Thursday, March 17, 2011

Long Ride... Long Day

Yesterday was a long day for me.  The drywall was done in my kitchen remodel so it was time to paint the primer coat and I had a long bike ride scheduled.  Sounds like a good time to take the afternoon off from work.

So, I left work at noon to head home.  I quickly ate lunch while I put on my painting cloths and quickly got to work.  Since everything was out of the kitchen, figured it would only take an hour to paint a coat of primer.  It took an hour and a half.  I was on the road just before 3pm.

My route took me North to Blair, so I had a nice 15-20mph southerly tail wind for about 20miles.  I choose to do this because there were no good ways to get through town to head south.  I didn't want to ride the trail either.

The first 10 miles I had company.  It was a med. student from Creighton.  He was all key up waiting to learn where he was doing his Internship so he went out for a ride.  We parted ways in Ft. Calhoun.  With a tail wind the nine miles to Blair went quick.  I should of stopped there for drinks there but kept riding.  I headed on West Hiway 30.  Straight into the wind... my speed went down from 23mph to 10mph.  I watched the town signs go past.  20 miles to Fremont.  I wasn't going to Fremont but what seemed like an eternity the next sign said 17miles to Fremont.

I finally made it to my turn off Hiway 30, staight South.  The was less wind so my speed picked up.  I was now on the Bike Master's Wed. Night ride route.  Cool, I can meet up with them.  I did for awhile.  I was going to hang off the paceline but was coaxed into working.  When I got to the front I was working way harder than I wanted.  We made a turn then I hung off the back.  I was able to keep the pace pretty well, it was still harder than I wanted to work so I just road back to the shop by myself.  I had to stop because I was totaly out of fluids.  I downed a gatorade and Mt Dew.  Talked to some peeps and headed home in the dark.

No comments: