Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cruise Intervals..

were the main course of last nights workout.   My goal was to get at least 20 minutes worth of work in my Zone 4/5a. 

I had some things to do at home so I didn't climb onto my trainer until 7:30pm.  A bit late in the evening.  I was worried that I would not be able to sleep after an intense workout.  Since my workout was to be 2:00hrs in duration I had plenty of time to warmup.  I used the warmup I do for my Fitness test:
20min easy
10-15min Zone 2 - 3
5min Zone 3 - 4
5min easy
1min 95%
3min easy
1min 95%
5min Zone 3
10min easy

The warmup is a workout in itself.  The intervals went well.  I did only three for a total of 20min (6min, 7min, 7min).  Starting the first interval, I watched my HR climb up into mid Zone 4.  It was tough and I wanted to be done after 2 minutes.  I was thinking that I had a long way to go to get into shape.  I kept pushing.  I wanted to hit my zone 5a but was happy to finishing the 6min up top of Zone 4.

I did some quick calculating and figured if I could get away with doing only 2 more 7min intervals to get the recomended 20minutes of cruise intervals.  The second and third intervals, I was able to reach up to Zone 5a.  I was happy with that and didn't feel so bad.

For me, the key to doing these intervals is knowing how hard to start.  My HR monitor is not going to tell me untill about a minute and a half into the interval.  So I watch my HR climb if it is not where I want it, I would lift my intensity.  About 3 minutes into my intervals, I can tweak my effort and my HR will soon follow.

No comments: