Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Training Update

I am not very happy with what I have been able to do for training on a couple different fronts.  Mostly, I am not happy with the number of hours I am devoting to the bike.  I ride almost every day but most of the time it is only for an hour or a bit more.  I may get a 2hr session in on the weekends but that is about it.  I may have to re-think my Race Schedule.  Joe Martin in early may is fast approaching. 

My weight lifting is going well, I feel super strong lifting weights and on the bike.  This year I have focused on doing squats.  Lots of squats.  Initially I didn't like them... the bar hurt my shoulders,  I was worried about my lower back, and worried about my knees.  I just took it slow and worked on my technique.  I learned to situate the bar on my shoulders so it doesn't hurt.  My back and knees have adapted well too.   Now I am hitting one of my goals. More of a milestone.  Tonight I will squat 135lbs.   It is not much, I can bench press that much.   I look forward to my weight lifting sessions.

On the bike, I have not done the 3hr slogs but have been making sure I get my tempo and speed work done.   Last week I started off with 30 minutes of muscle endurance.  Muscle endurance for me is keeping my HR at 162 and a lower cadence of 75 - 85 rpms.  Last night I did 45minutes.  I felt good.

A couple goals for this week is to do a 2:30 hr ride and do another 45minute muscle endurance ride.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds like you're still putting in enough work Joe, and that its quality work.

Don't be so down on yourself.