Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tuesday Act Two

As I posted earlier my goal last night was to do cruise intervals... 8x8minutes. Well, I did 5. The first 4 were fine. I hit my target HR and kept it there throughout the 8min interval. I knew I was getting tired toward the end because it was getting difficult to maintain zone 2 during the rest interval. For the 5th interval it took a little extra time to reach zone 5a. After about a minute there it became increasingly difficult to maintain and I eventually quit after 6mins. Still I was able to ride for about 1:45min.

I hurt myself bad. My heart was racing all night long and I didn't get to sleep until about 2:00. Knowing my alarm was set for 4:00am did not help either. Instead of doing the 2:30hrs planned this morning, I did 1:00hr spin class. My weight lifting workout tonight is also on the chopping block.

3 comments:

bryan said...

Joe ... dude, you're not getting enough rest. Your numbers and RPE are all over the place. A morning tempo workout plus cruise intervals later just seems like a bad idea.

And why eight cruise intervals? Friel says 3 to 5. At the HR and RPE targets, 8 is insane -- and likely not possible.

I've noticed that about once a week, you have a workout that just doesn't work. More rest = more recovery = fewer workouts that end early.

bryan said...

God, reading that makes me sound like a dick. Sorry to criticize so heavily. But still -- you need more rest.

Joe said...

You are fine... and right about doing too many cruise intervals. I really thought I could do all eight. Anyway, hope the hand is doing ok.