Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tues Act One

Dateline Tuesday 4:00am, the alarm rings. I thought about rolling over and catching more sleep but it is the beginning of base three, there will be time to rest next week. After some morning chores I climbed on the trainer. Today I have two muscle endurance rides scheduled. Act I a tempo workout - maintain 160bpm for 60min. Act II Cruise intervals - 8 x 8min intervals in zone 4/5a.

So this morning was tempo work. My focus was primarily on heart rate and secondarily on form. My legs got a good force workout last Saturday/Sunday so I wanted to leave any strength work out. I took about 10min to warm up then I started the tempo work. I didn't reach zone 3 until about 8min into the workout. It took about 20 more minutes to get to 160bpm. The last 30min I was comfortable maintaining 160bpm HR with a cadence of 92 - 102rpm. I think my TT cadence is about 92. That seems comfortable.

Tonight the main event ... cruise intervals. This will be a 2:00hr workout. I plan to do 8x8min intervals near LTHR(172) with 3min rest into zone 2. Again the focus will be on HR and not strength. I had been doing my weight lifting Tuesday nights but that has been pushed to Wednesday night.

No comments: