Monday, February 28, 2011

Baby Steps

Even  though the rest week is part of the phase, in my mind Base 2 is over.  Time to think about the next phase of training. 

I put in a solid week of training last week.   I had my Tempo ride on Tuesday, a long ride Wednesday, and a Hill ride on Friday.  I would consider those rides my "Breakthrough" rides.  I could not work another long ride on Saturday.  Too many things to do.  Instead I worked in a 1:30hr trainer ride early and another 1:15hr trainer ride later in the day.   Since I was about 2hrs short of time Saturday, I was determined to get in all my time on Sunday. 

Sunday I did a 1:00hr spin class then sat on the trainer for 3:00hrs.  I spent the first 1:45hrs doing a Spinnerval workout - Endurance Booster.  The workout consisted of a sets of 15 minute Tempo intervals.  Then I put in my ear buds to finish out the 3:00hrs listening to my music.  Of note, I felt great for the trainer ride.  I was comfortable spinning at 110+rpm.  My heart rate was in Zone 2 and Zone 3 for the tempo intervals.  When 3:00hrs came around, I wanted to do more.  I can't explain where the extra energy came from.  Maybe it was knowing that it was the last workout before the rest week.  I don't know.

Now it is rest week.  I can use the mental/physical break but I feel good and ready to take on more.   I am looking forward to riding outside more as the weather gets warmer.  I think the trainer will always be an option for workouts under 2:00hrs.  This time of year it just saves a bunch of time to climb on the trainer.

No comments: