Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tweaking Zones - Still

Since I don't have the luxury of a power meter I have to deal with HR. It is really important to get my HR zones right. Right? I don't know.

Lets look at zone 2. If you follow the Friel plan, most of your riding is in zone 2.

If I go by my first power test(with LT set at 167) my zone 2 range is 137 - 148bpm. In practice, I usually keep my HR in the Upper part of that range sometimes going over when I feel good. After about 1:30hr of riding it is really easy for me to stay around 148. This is a solid aerobic effort for me but not tough. I can do 2:00hrs riding in this zone and do another two then next day.

Using my second power test(LT @ 179) my zone 2 is quite a bit higher 145 - 155bpm. Since this is new I don't have much experience using this range as my zone 2. I think keeping my HR in this range, I would not be so eager to get on the bike again the next day.

I stay motivated with setting my zones according to the lower LT but is that challenging enough? Should I challenge myself more with the higher zone.

What to do? There is one big smudge in my log book where I keep erasing and changing my training zones.

3 comments:

bryan said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Marc Walter did your first test, it's probably pretty accurate. It's his job to be able to do stuff like that.

Also, Zone 2 shouldn't be stressful. That's just basic aerobic fitness. If you look at the Friel book, E1 is a recovery ride and E2 is the steady, base mileage ride. If you're supposed to do three or four hours, Zone 2 is where you want to be.

If you were barely able to hold on during Zone 3, that adjusted range is too high. Zone 3 should be uncomfortable but doable for 15-20 minutes. Zone 4 is where the real stress starts.

Miles said...

I don't think you should be stretching to hit z2 HR that's for sure.

Z3 should feel maintainable but uncomfortable.

When it comes down to it, I'd throw out the PM and HR #'s and go by RPE. If your HR's z2 but you feel like you are PE of 6 you are going too hard.

I don't think Eddy used any of this crap.

Joe said...

All good advice. Thanks!

Here is the game plan... I am going to be conservative with my HR and work at the levels dictated by a 167bpm LT. This will get me in the ballpark. Then I will rely on my RPE once I get into the workout. If go over the prescribed zones...thats ok.

That is my final answer, Regis