Monday, January 5, 2009

HR Zone Tweaking

UnScientifically speaking this is how I figure my HRZones based on my VAST :p experience, testing and racing.

Zone 5c(187bpm or higher) I haven't seen any effort higher than that... but it is possible

Zone 5b(186 - 182bpm) Can get there on a tough hill or sprint efforts of less than 2-3min. Could keep pedaling but would quickly drop down to zone 2

Zone 5a(182 - 179bpm) 5 - 10min effort like at the end of a TT

Zone 4 (178 - 165) One hour to 90min effort Crit speed

Zone 3 (164 - 155) Could do 2 - 3hrs if racing but not every day

Zone 2 (142 - 154) Longer rides - cruizing speed

Zone 1 (141 and below) recovery

4 comments:

munsoned said...

Vaguely remembering mine, but they were very similar. LT was right around 175-178. I remember going on longer rides and needing to keep it below 145.

I eventually figured out that there's only 3 important heart rate categories: non-interval pace - 150 and below, LT workout - around 175, and upper end interval level - all out. The huge gap between non-interval and LT (150 to 175) is no man's land which is never really needed to make yourself faster. You either put in work at LT and above, or you recover. That's what worked for me, but everyone's different.

Joe said...

Hey Mike, I think you are right about having only 3 important zones. My plan has me doing work in Zone 3 but I think that is just to ramp up to harder work into zone 4.

bryan said...

141 = zone 3 for me. You're like a hummingbird or something. Or I'm an elephant. Either way.

Joe said...

Bryan, your HR is amazingly low.