Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1st Tempo Workout

I hate to admit that I struggled with this one. This 1st Tempo (M1) workout was suppose to be 20-30min in zone 3. For the past couple of months almost all of my workout have been in the upper end of zone 2. I can ride with my HR at 148 for at least 2hrs. I figured no problem, I can do 30min in zone 3. That's just another 10bpm more.

After a 20min warmup, I started forcing my HR up to the 150s and topping out in the lower 160s. I started having doubts 5min into the workout. Then at the 10min mark I started changing my mind about doing 30min. Luckily I started getting into a groove. I settled down to a HR of 159 for the last 5 minutes. I stopped the workout at with 20min in my zone 3.

It was shocking to me at how much harder I had to work to stay in zone3. One of my goals for this week is to do a 30min tempo ride so I am going to try again. Probably in one of my Thursday workouts.

2 comments:

Miles said...

Joe,
FWIW, I think an alternate way to accomplish the time you are trying to get in a single workout is to break it up into chunks of something like 3x10 min on with 5 min off or 2 x 15 min with 5 min off. You'll still get the benefit of getting the training stress in the session but are just breaking it up into a couple chunks. I am not saying to leave it like that for long, but step your way into the block... Once you are able to make it thru the broken up interval try to do 1 x 30 min...

Joe said...

Thanks Mike... I think I was being a big weenie and it was early. So, I am going to try for 30 again Friday. I want to be able to move the time up to 45min next week. I may need to break that one up in to 3 x 15 time intervals.