Friday, March 12, 2010

Lack Luster Workout

Last night I climbed onboard to do a Anerobic-Endurance intervals.  The plan was to do 5 intervals 3-6min into Zone 5b this is about HR 178bpm for me.  I did a good 30min warmup which included a 10min effort in zone 4... I thought I was ready to go. 

The first interval I struggled to get to 170bpm.  I held that for about 5min.  Second interval, 170bpm again! for about 5min.  The third interval was better at 175 but not close to my zone 5b.  I struggled to hold that for 4min.   When I stopped I was gasping for air as if I just had done a sprint for a race.  I was done... there was no way I was going to get to 178bpm.   So, to salvage the workout I did one more solid zone 4 effort then an easy spin to finish up the workout.

Thinking about the workout there are a few things that may have limited my performance. 
1) My 5:30am workout in Spin Class was very intense
2) I ate 45min before this workout
3) This is my third week of build training.  I don't think I am overtrained but I am definatly in the "Valley of Fatitgue" as Joe Friel puts it in his book.
4) I a mentally exhausted for riding the trainer...

So with that and the fact that I am going to do a couple of crits tomorrow I am taking the day off. 

1 comment:

E.O'B. said...

Obviously all of the factors you mention would tend to limit your heart rate. hydration, humidity, and temperature will change your HR as well. My old coach always reminded me to pay more attention to perceived exertion than heart rate if they were really different on any given day. But he also begged me to buy a power meter...