Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Weight Training - Round 1

Last Monday was my first round of lifting.  Easy, just work on doing the excercises properly.  Keeping the loads light and the effort low.

I did a warmup then headed to the squat rack.  From youtube videos I knew what a squat was suppose to look like.  Bar on the shoulders, slowly lowering, keeping head up, and knees over the toes.  Back Straight too.  No problem with only a 45lb barbell.  So to get a little more intesity I added 20 more pounds for my next set of 12 reps.  Still no problem and no effort at all.

I skipped the standing rows.  I had no clue how to do them properly.

Next was the hip sled for Leg Presses.  Leg presses on the machine are easy... slowly lower the weight and then push up.  I started with 90lbs and finished with 225lbs.  Very easy.

Dead lifts are tricky for me.  I tried working through the motion with no weight.   Then added barbell only.  It just didn't feel right.

I finished the night with Leg Extensions, and Pullups.  I can only do 3 pullups followed by a set of 2... same as last year.  I would really like to work on doing more.

I walked out of the gym Monday thinking that I didn't get much of a workout and come Thursday I would be ready to add weight to all the exercises.  As the day went on yesterday, my legs started to tighten up and feel sore.  I suppose I am not use to all the motions involved with squats, dead lifts, and leg presses.  I hope the soreness goes away by tomorrow evening.

Tonight is a trainer ride... trying to get motivated for that.

5 comments:

Marc Walter said...

Exrx.net is a good site

Unknown said...

Joe, are you trying to do bent-over rows or upright rows?

Joe said...

Bent over Rows...

Thanks Marc, I will check it out.

Joe said...

I am following this program

http://www.training4cyclists.com/12-week-strength-program-for-cyclists/

Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry about doing rows, the chins will cover it. One thing to consider is doing lat pulldowns to supplement the chins, until can do a full set of chins.