Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Last Weekend - Back to racing

This last weekend was highlighted by the Twin Bing race.  A 68 mile road race in Climbing Hill, IA.  A race I was looking to test my fitness.  For many riders it was the first race of the year. 

The start was pretty tame.  Rolling down a flat stretch of road the hill part of Climbing Hill, IA was rising before the group.  This was the same evil hill that turned my race last year into a 66 mile training ride.  I was determine not to let that happen again.

It was a hard climb for me but I made it up no problem.  I was relieved to have survived but ther was still work to do.  What saved me was the head wind... no one was interested in attacking into a 20mph headwind at least not on that hill.  There were attacks later causing big gaps.  The gaps were filled and most of the riders were still there.

After several rollers, we turned to a flatter cross wind section.  The pace slowed.  I even did a pull on the front.   Then just before the turn into the wind the pace got faster and it was an all out scramble to chase down the leaders.  This put me into trouble...  I did get back onto a wheel but was gassed.  Another right hander then we were back into another set or rollers.  The first hill sucked but I was still with the pack.

I stayed in contact the whole first lap.  To me that was a victory... now it was an endurance game.  So, I thought.  Again, I survived the rollers and flat section.  I knew what was coming as we turned into the wind.  I wasn't disappointed.  The speed with the wind was close to 35mph.  Riders were chasing hard.  I was at my limit, another turn, then start another hill. Still at my limit.  I watched as the group left me on the base of the hill.  That's ok, I will just chase hard.  I did...never caught the small group just in front.

My cruising speed is excellent.  I was riding into a cross-headwind at 23mph.  I was working with someone but lost him on a hill.  Last lap, alone.  It was pretty miserable.  I did have pretty good energy on that last lap, right up until the last hill.  The hill and the wind got the best of me.  I rode over the 1k and what felt like 30 minutes later I was done.

I have some more comments but that is enough for now.  Heading out for a long ride tonight.

No comments: