Friday, October 16, 2009

A month ago

I was getting ready for the State RR. Until then I was riding about everyday hitting the group rides on Tues/Weds night and usually long rides or race on the weekend. Since the RR I have ridden about 3 times.

I hope to get on the bike this weekend but I need to start building my training plan. That means writing down goals and picking races. I also need to find something to motivate me through the winter. Last year my upgrade to Cat 3 had me worried so I was super motivated to train. I still need to find something that will get my happy butt up for those early morning training sessions.

I may change things up a bit too. In the "Training Bible" Joe Friel recommends that masters do a 3week instead of 4 week base/build periods. I may give that a try.

I have taken up running to give myself a break from the bike. It has been a very slow start though. For the first week I thought I was starting conservatively with a 2 mile run on Mon/Wed/Fri. I started the second week with the same schedule but pulled a muscle in my calf on the Wed run. So I took the 3rd week off. This week I picked up running again Wed. the goal was to run 2mi but after 3/4mi my calf started to hurt again. I turned around and walked back. Today, I went the full 2mi. I had some discomfort in my calf but I kept on going. Next week I hope to 2mi on Mon/Wed/Fri again.

No comments: