Friday, April 17, 2009

Race Week - Le Tour D'Husker

I am getting in some good training this week.

Tuesday I rode hard with the High Gear crew. We did about 40 hilly miles. At the end of the ride I had 25min in HR zone4 and 5 minutes up to zone 5a. This was a little disappointing... I want to get where I have an hour or more in zone 4.

Wednesday's ride was another group ride at Bike Master's. It was a fun ride. The guys that usually push the pace were not there. As usual the ride broke up into small groups. Then on the way back I found myself in a group of 5. We maintained a good pace and would pass small groups of riders. Many of the passed riders would join our group. So the group swelled to over 10 riders. It was fun! I worked hard but it was bearable.

Thursday - I took the day off riding.

Friday - Don't know I may go out for a zone 2 spin tonight.

Since I have my training plan set to peak for the Norfolk race, I have an extra week to play with. So I am going to burn that week. I will call this week a rest week and start my Build 2 period next week. Reason? I think I need to focus on my ability to get to zone 4/5a and stay there for longer periods of time. Also, focus on hill training. Finally, another thing I am missing is longer rides in zone 2. In the winter I was really good about riding 3+ hours. I have only done one of those in the past few weeks.

2 comments:

munsoned said...

Nice analysis and adjustment of your training, Joe. Sounds like you're really in tune with what's going on. To me, the only way a coach would be worth it, is if you had power data for them to read. Otherwise, they have to be really good at knowing you, what you mean when you say, "It felt hard, but bearable," and know how crazy heart rates can be throughout training. That's a lot to consider when prescribing a schedule.


Anyways, good luck this weekend!

Joe said...

I agree, I think to be worth it, the couch would have to know me. That takes a lot of contact time and I can't afford that level.