Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fitness Test

This coming Saturday, I am going down with Rob & Cole to do a Fitness Test with Marc Walters of RightWay Performance.  This will be a good start to my Official Training which starts next week.  I am interested to see my power numbers. 

The last time (Fall, 2008) I did this test with him, I weighed 197lbs.   I had just came off a good season where I won the NE Cat 4 RR.  Also, I had several second place finishes.   I got beat out for second place by the narrowest of margins... you know who you are!   Anyway, I cranked out 4.1watts/kg for the 30min test.   That fell into into the range of Cat 3/Masters (see chart below).   I was thinking about moving up a category and my test results confirmed the move. 

So, now what would my power to weight ratio be?  I don't know.  After my collar bone break at the end of may I had two months off the bike.  I whipped myself into shape to do one more race at the end of August.  I finished the summer just riding "at will" with out any training plan.  Recently I have been just doing base miles.   I want to guess that I am on the lower end of the Cat 3/Masters range but I'll find out Saturday.



Category Power to weight ratio (30min) - Men  Power to weight ratio (30min) - Women
World Class, ProTour racer 6.0 - 6.8 watts/kg 5.25 – 6.0 watts/kg
Domestic Pro 5.4 – 6.2 4.5 – 5.5
Cat 1 4.8 - 5.6 4.2 – 4.9
Cat 2 / Masters 4.2 – 5.0 3.8 – 4.4
Cat 3 / Masters 3.7 – 4.4 3.2 – 3.8
Cat 4 3.0 – 3.8 2.6 – 3.3
Cat 5/Beginner 2.5 – 3.2 2.1 – 2.8

2 comments:

Dan said...

Very curious to see where you end up. I'll let you know too. It take mine the end of next week.

And I have no idea who you could possibly be talking about edging you out into second place in Sioux Falls. :-)

Joe said...

Yep.. Let me know your numbers too. I think I am going to do another test after my base training.