Monday, March 5, 2012

Tough Weekend

Partly self inflicted and partly due to the wind. 

Saturday, I "organized" a hill ride.  Well, I threw out an event of facebook, invited all my bikey friends, and made it so they could invite their friends.  The weather was sunny, chilly and the 15 - 25mph wind made it feel like it was in the low 20s.  Like I said on facebook, it looked like spring but felt like winter.  I was surprised that over 20 people showed up to ride. 

On the hills, I did well but could not keep up with the faster guys.  Which was expected.  It was good to have them there for a little extra motivation to push.   They were pretty much gone after the first hill. 

Sunday, I dropped in on another group ride.  I was suppose to ride easy for 4hrs.  I did my best to keep the effort low in Zone 2.  Yeah right.  Into the wind, I was pretty comfortable hovering just behind the rotation.  That was easy and fun but the effort was more like Zone 3.  In the crosswind hilly section I fell off the group early.  The tail wind section I sucked wheel for awhile then took a few pulls.  That was a mistake. Even though we had a stiff wind behind us the speed of the group was enough to still create a head wind.  I quickly burned myself out.  I was on the back sucking wind.  It was a bit disheartining to see Brady, who was out on his own and had been chasing for a couple miles, come up from behind to chase down the pack.  That was impressive. 

There is work that needs to be done.  Lose more weight and get faster.

It was a fun weekend though.

2 comments:

brady said...

Hi Joe,

Perceptions are everything. But allow me to correct you. When you saw me, I had only been out 90 minutes. It's true that I was battling that nasty headwind by myself, but I kept my HR below LA threshold the entire time because I knew that all hell would be breaking out when I encountered the 'Blair Blastoff'.

And despite that, I still nearly got dropped within 5 seconds of encountering you guys. I wasn't ready for the group to come by at 35+ mph. Oops, my mistake. It took everything I had to chase back on; I was holding 38mph about 10 meters back for a long time before I finally covered the gap. Take heart, I got blown off the back at the final surge to the Ft Calhoun city sign.

I wouldn't sweat any of this stuff. You're riding well; and it's the first week of March.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in the post

Joe said...

Thanks for your comment. I can't help but be a little impressed.