Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Snake Alley Weekend

Yep... I did the Snake Alley Criterium this weekend. The original plan was to do the 40+ masters and then the Cat 3 later that day but one race was enough for me. Each and every time up Snake Alley had me thinking about abandoning the race. Loup Gouru summed it up pretty well.

I also did the Wappello-Burlington 3/4 RR the night before. Note to self pre-view the course. I felt good for most of the race. I started the race in the back of the field so I got some good experience moving up through the pack. Working through gaps and leveraging my way to the front. The speed of the peleton was very high with the average speed at the end of 26mph. I was in a couple breaks but we were brought back. In the end I did not have a good position for the final sprint. I got 18th out of 77. Still within a couple of seconds from the winner.

I also did the Melon City Crit 40+ masters... got 15th out of 28.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great weekend Joe!

munsoned said...

Well Done, Joe. For that caliber of race, you did very well.

That's the one race I wish I would have done as a cat 3. Maybe some day I'll do that race as a masters racer.

Joe said...

Thanks... it was a fun weekend. I could not believe how fast the Pro, 1/2 race was coming down the hill in the rain. The were taking the corners at 40+mph.

vaughn said...

Nice job this weekend Joe. I definitely had you marked in the RR. If I couldn't see you I knew I was too far back. Watching the pro/1/2 climb and descend was eye opening!

Joe said...

Thanks Vaughn.... You did a great moving up front to take second place. I will soon be marking you after your upgrade.